People-First Access platform
1 min read
Last updated on: November 1, 2022
Automation is a powerful way to relieve your engineering/SRE/DevOps practice from repetitive access management tasks and allow them to focus on the essential things.
Resources Management Via Automation
The following questions will guide you to the most relevant links to help you implement automation.
Do you use automation to spin up and down new databases, servers, and clusters today?
No - do you plan to have it in the future?
- Yes - We recommend leveraging Terraform by HashiCorp for it. Use our Terraform guide and reference our Terraform provider page. Also, you can find here some useful Terraform code examples as a starting point.
- No - Read our documentation on managing your resources in the StrongDM admin portal. You can also manage your resources in StrongDM via our CLI tool guide. For your convenience, here is the CLI commands reference.
Yes - Which of the following automation do you use today and want to use with StrongDM:
- Terraform - use our Terraform guide here. Here is also our Terraform provider page.
- Ansible - Use our Ansible guide here.
- CLI - Here is our CLI tool guide. For your convenience, here is the CLI commands reference.
- SDK - Before choosing a specific SDK, here is an overview of our SDK.
|Ruby||RubyDoc||StrongDM-sdk-ruby||Ruby SDK examples|
|Python||Pdoc||StrongDM-sdk-python||Python SDK examples|
|Java||Javadoc||StrongDM-sdk-java||Java SDK examples|
|Go||pkg.go.dev||StrongDM-sdk-go||Go SDK examples|
AWS registration and cleanup
- This guide explains how to register and deregister EC2 instances.
Containerized Environments and Kubernetes
- Reference our introductory documentation to learn about use cases
- Gateways and Relays can be deployed using containers
Best practice on resource registration in StrongDM:
- Create the resource in the server
- Make sure the resource is up and accessible
- Only then should you register it to StrongDM via your automation
Best practice on resource deregistration from StrongDM:
- Remove the resource from StrongDM
- Stop the resource and delete it from the server
Gateway & Relays Management Via Automation
- CloudFormation - Here is our recommendation on creating Gateway pairs using CloudFormation.
- Self-registered Relay using Chef - Here is how to leverage Chef to create a self-registered Relay.